14 Apr Member Recipe – Dave’s Lazy Argentinian Beef Stew
Posted at 12:58h in 0 Comments
Check out Dave’s meltingly tender beef recipe inspired by the hearty Argentinian beef stew known as Carbonada Criolla ¡Buen provecho!
- 1kg silverside or topside of beef, rump etc, with no added fat
- 2 tsp of butter
- 6 young carrots, tops trimmed and sliced length ways
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced length ways
- 200ml or large glass of Beefsteak Club Malbec
- 500ml rich beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- a few thyme sprigs
- 2 tsp of cranberry jelly
- 1 tsp plain flour to thicken sauce
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas.
- Season the meat with black pepper and salt.
- Melt the butter in a large flameproof casserole dish and brown the meat all over for about 10 minutes, then set aside.
- Add 2 tsp oil to a frying pan, add the chopped onions and garlic, sliced carrots and celery and toss for 10 mins until brown.
- Add 2 tbsp of cranberry jelly and a large glass of Beefsteak Club Malbec wine into the hot casserole and simmer for 2 mins.
- Pour in the beef stock, return the beef, then tuck in the carrots, celery, bay leaves and thyme around the joint.
- Cover and cook in the oven for at least 2 hours until soft and tender, turning the beef halfway through.
- When the beef is ready, it should be tender and easy to pull apart. Remove it from the casserole and add the flour and cook for 1 min, to thicken.
- Slice the beef and add the carrots on the side with the rich gravy spooned over the top.
- Serve with either roast potatoes or garlic mashed potatoes.
Serve with a glass of Beefsteak Club Malbec!