18 Mar Member Recipe – Andre’s Steak with Açorda ‘Great Grandma Style’
Andre, who grew up near Oporto in northern Portugal, shares a recipe for a traditional Portuguese delicacy.
He says: “Back then my great grandmother would always prepare me a steak with açorda every Sunday. I still remember the smell and flavours vividly, it wasn’t a fancy dish at all, simple but very tasty! The best part was the accompaniment – Açorda, it was an absolute treat!”
- Beef fillet (1 per person)
- Olive oil (1 tbsp)
- Garlic (5 cloves per steak)
For the Açorda soup:
- Stale bread (2 slices)
- Garlic (2 cloves)
- Coriander (1 bunch)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 Eggs
- Pan fry the fillet steak in olive oil and lots of fresh, crushed garlic. Season with salt. Cook the steak to your liking!
- To make the Açorda soup, in a mortar, crush the garlic with a pestle.
- Add the coriander leaves and olive oil gradually to form a paste.
- In a pot, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Break the eggs over the pan and poach them for 3 minutes.
- Remove the poached eggs with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Pour the coriander and garlic paste into the egg-cooking water and stir well.
- At the bottom a bowl, place a slice of bread and a poached egg.
- Pour the garlic and coriander broth, adjust seasoning and serve!